CLEVELAND SKYLINE

CLEVELAND SKYLINE
BORN HERE RAISED HERE AND MOST LIKELY WILL PASS AWAY AND BE BURIED HERE AS WELL.

San Francisco Skyline

San Francisco Skyline
I've been in my own boat sitting out in this water looking at this view. Awesome!-Sandee. This is a Tip of The Hat to Sandee, my Co-Author and blog wizard.

The Blogger's Prayer

Lord help me to learn to spell without spellcheck, manage to visit all that visit me, and post regularly - all in 5 minutes a day, so that I can clean house and take care of my family. Help me to not look at every occurrence in my life as a blog post, and to quit taking pictures of weird things to share as well. Please Lord, help me to stop talking about my blog friends as though they are next door neighbors or someone I have known all of my life. And help me dear Lord, to think of something witty and wise to post tomorrow.


Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers (1936-2009) RIP

Mary Travers of the 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary died Wednesday after a long battle with leukemia. She was 72.

Bandmate Peter Yarrow said Travers handled her disease with "great dignity."

"It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too, honestly and with complete authenticity," Yarrow told The Associated Press.

Travers underwent a successful bone marrow transplant to treat her leukemia and while she could perform after that, she told WTOP radio in Washington that her condition had worsened earlier this year.

Noel "Paul" Stookey praised Travers for her inspiring activism, "especially in her defense of the defenseless."

"I am deadened and heartsick beyond words to consider a life without Mary Travers," he told The Associated Press.


Mary Allin Travers was born Nov. 9, 1936, in Louisville, Ky., to two journalists who moved the family to New York's Greenwich Village. She attended school through the 11th grade before pursuing a singing career.
Pete Seeger, a founding member of the folk group the Weavers, lived in the same building as the Travers family and Travers performed with him.
Travers backed Seeger on one album and for two shows at Carnegie Hall, but it wasn't until she connected with Yarrow and Stookey that she found worldwide success. Yarrow was managed by Albert Grossman, who later worked with Bob Dylan.
The trio rehearsed in Travers' apartment for several months before its 1961 debut at the Bitter End in New York City.
The group won five Grammy Awards for its three-part harmony for "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Puff the Magic Dragon" and Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind."
Travers is survived by her fourth husband, Ethan Robbins, and daughters Alicia and Erika.

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72



8 comments:

  1. Hey Mike - stop by my blog where I have an award for you. I actually said for everyone to pick up these awards and you are welcome to all three, but there is one that made me think of you. It's a Prayer Warrior award and no one deserves that one more than you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda's Wings,yes it is.

    Travis,I have always enjoyed their sound as well.

    Mari,thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met them when I worked at the Yorktowne Hotel back in the 80's when they did a concert here. I was amazed at how tall and big she was, when I spoke to her I had to raise my head back so far that I got a cramp in my neck. I loved their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude8753, I never got to see them in person,I wish I could have.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Golch Central where comments are welcome.This blog DOES NOT ALLOW ANONYMOUS COMMENTS.Comment moderation has been enabled.All comments must be approved by the blog author. That being said, go ahead and make my day! Leave me a comment, even it you leave a negative one. The only comments that will be deleted are spammers and PERSONEL ATTACKS ON ME!!! I answer your comments, so if you want to see what I said come back for a visit. Be kind and NO SPAM or PERSONEL ATTACKS THOSE COMMENTS WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY ON THIS BLOG! As always I'm grateful that you stopped by. 🙂