CLEVELAND SKYLINE

CLEVELAND SKYLINE
BORN HERE RAISED HERE AND MOST LIKELY WILL PASS AWAY AND BE BURIED HERE AS WELL.

San Francisco Skyline

San Francisco Skyline
I've been in my own boat sitting out in this water looking at this view. Awesome!-Sandee. This is a Tip of The Hat to Sandee, my Co-Author and blog wizard.

The Blogger's Prayer

Lord help me to learn to spell without spellcheck, manage to visit all that visit me, and post regularly - all in 5 minutes a day, so that I can clean house and take care of my family. Help me to not look at every occurrence in my life as a blog post, and to quit taking pictures of weird things to share as well. Please Lord, help me to stop talking about my blog friends as though they are next door neighbors or someone I have known all of my life. And help me dear Lord, to think of something witty and wise to post tomorrow.


Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Flashback

For those that are too young to remember this great man:
Frank Fontaine (19 April 1920 – 4 August 1978) was an American comedian and singer.
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, he is best known for his appearances on television shows of the 1950s and 1960s, including The Jackie Gleason Show, The Jack Benny Show, and The Tonight Show.
One of his earliest appearances was on the radio show, The Jack Benny Program. During an episode which aired on April 16, 1950, Fontaine played a bum (named "John L. C. Silvoney") who asked Benny for a dime for a cup of coffee. The smallest coin Benny had to offer was a fifty-cent piece, so he gave it to him. The story Benny told about this event became a running gag during later shows. Fontaine's goofy laugh and other voice mannerisms made a hit with the audience, and Benny brought him back for several more radio shows between 1950 and 1952. He also later appeared in several of Benny's televisions shows.
On the Jackie Gleason show, he played the character Crazy Guggenheim during Gleason's "Joe The Bartender" skits. His trademark was a bug-eyed grin, the same silly laugh he did on Jack Benny's radio show, and a surprisingly good singing voice. He later released an album Songs I Sing on the Jackie Gleason Show that climbed to number one on the Billboard magazine Album Charts in 1962.
Stan Freberg's voice characterization for Pete Puma in a 1952 cartoon was based on Fontaine's character voice. Fontaine received mention in satirist Tom Lehrer's 1965 song "National Brotherhood Week", from the album That Was the Year That Was. In the live show, Lehrer mentioned National Make-Fun-of-the-Handicapped Week, "Which Frank Fontaine and Jerry Lewis are in charge of, as you know." He also was the voice of Rocky the Rhino in Walt Disney's The Jungle Book until Disney cut the creature from the picture.
Fontaine died in Spokane, Washington from a heart attack, at the age of 58. He had just completed a benefit show and accepted a check for $25,000, which he planned to donate for heart research, when he collapsed. He was interred at Oak Grove Cemetery in Medford, Massachusetts.





5 comments:

  1. One of my parents favorites. I remember listening to him when I was a little girl. Beautiful voice.

    Have a terrific day and weekend Mike. Big hug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, as a former Bostonian I was brought up with his music. You know, support your own type thing. Love irish eyes... one of my all time favorites. What a great voice and he was a fabulous story teller. I can remember hearing him on the radio during a talk interview. Sweet man. Thanks for the memories Mike. I hope this day finds you well! Hugs. Tammy... oh and thank you for the nod on the sobriety list buddy. It never hurts to get our names out there to support one another.... ??? Does your wife blog and if so, where is her blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandee,I always enjoyed his singing on The Jackie Gleeson Show's Joe The bartender segment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Creative Hare,all things Irish!
    H4e had a great voice to listen to that is for sure! Celestine does not blog.she inher own words"Computer illiterate and proud of it"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember him from when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Golch Central where comments are welcome.This blog DOES NOT ALLOW ANONYMOUS COMMENTS.Comment moderation has been enabled.All comments must be approved by the blog author. That being said, go ahead and make my day! Leave me a comment, even it you leave a negative one. The only comments that will be deleted are spammers and PERSONEL ATTACKS ON ME!!! I answer your comments, so if you want to see what I said come back for a visit. Be kind and NO SPAM or PERSONEL ATTACKS THOSE COMMENTS WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY ON THIS BLOG! As always I'm grateful that you stopped by. 🙂